marți, 23 mai 2017

Andrei Rublev, written- with Andrey Konchalovsky- and directed by Andrei Tarkovsky

A different version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at:


This is one of the most rewarding films that one can ever see.
It is not easy entertainment.

Andrei Tarkovsky does not deal with that.
The movie is heavy with dialogue about religion, art, creation, Jesus, vanity, simplicity.

I have seen and posted a note on

-          Solaris

For the Stalker I am still waiting.
The first time that I have clashed with a Tarkovsky provocation it was seeing Stalker.

Some of it that is, because I fell asleep in the cinema.
Which goes to proof how keen on challenging works I was.

In fact, I am still unable to get much, if anything from that film.
And Nostalgia, which is another creation of Andrei
Tarkovsky.

Andrei Rublev is more accessible.
It is depressing for long periods, but an exceptional work.

Filmed in black and white, with the exception of a few minutes.
The color in that passage is used to highlight the exquisite beauty and serenity of the icons painted by Andrei Rublev.

He was a fifteenth century painter of masterpieces.
And even if I am not religious I am overwhelmed by them.

Indeed, the orthodox paintings have a modesty, serenity, eerie aspect that will touch even the profane.
As opposed to the Renaissance, they do not show all the beauty of the human body.

The images in these orthodox churches are elongated, very thin and Saint like.
Actually, most of the portraits represent saints.
At one point, Feofan says:

-          "In much wisdom there is much grief. And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow"

This reminds me of a quote from Dostoyevsky.
I do not have the exact words, but I think the idea was something like this:

-          I wish I were a fat woman who makes sausages and goes to church every day to light a candle and pray.
-          She is happy and knows she is going to heaven.

Dostoyevsky had been condemned to death and in the last minute he was pardoned.
But he saw then how sublime life is.


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu